Intended Audience: Career Guidance Counsellors, Teachers, Parents & Students
Rather than relying on the age-old question ‘what do you want to be’, challenge-based career guidance probes the question ‘what problems in the world would you like to solve’. Using a set of career challenge cards, this exciting approach taps into the student’s motivation and values. Highly motivational, join us and see for yourself as the cards reveal exciting futures that open up new pathways that our students may not have considered heretofore.
By the end of the course participants will be:
1. Able to sift through career challenge cards and classify them according to their interest level.
2. Motivated by the range of options available to them, within their selected interest areas.
3. Equipped with research tools to enable them to identify job opportunities that link into
their chosen career challenge areas.
4. More easily engaged in meaningful career conversations that matter to them, thus enabling parents and guidance counsellors to assist them more effectively, at a more advanced level.
5. More excited and motivated about their futures and to work as a result.
Course Duration: 1 hour - delivered as Evening CPD online.
Dr. Fidelma Healy Eames, PhD, MSc(Ed), BEd.,(Galway) has a long background in teaching, learning and teacher education. Her enduring interest is making learning easier and enabling young people to pursue meaningful futures. Passionate about supporting teachers and enabling learners to develop the mindset and skills to take ownership for their own learning, she currently job-shares as a teacher (SEN) and is Director and Lead Educator with Study & Careers.
In 2017, Fidelma completed a qualification in Psychometric Science with the British Psychological Society, equipping her as an accredited tester (Ability, Personality and Occupational) with several follow-up courses in career coaching.
Author to ‘Switching on for Learning: A Student Guide to Exam & Career Success’, this has become a core text for teachers, parents and students interested in independent learning and career guidance. In 2020 she developed an online ‘learning to learn’ programme used across second-level schools. Newly-revised for 2021 based on teacher and student feedback, it’s now available at https://studyandcareers.ie/switching-on-for-learning/
|Course Date||09-11-2021 7:00 pm|
|Course End Date||09-11-2021 8:00 pm|
|Registration Start Date||03-09-2021 12:00 am|
|Registration fee / cost||€5.00|
|Speaker||Dr. Fidelma Healy Eames, PhD|
Registered with the Charities Regulatory Authority CRA No. 20051921